Sunday, August 11, 2013

Adios

It's been almost exactly 3 years since I embarked on this journey to make a living freelancing in this crazy industry. But now that the impenetrable forest of shitty reality TV, no-budget indies, and low budget music videos is giving way to a bountiful clearing of consistent work in scripted TV, I'm finding that although I have more and more things to talk about now, most of it has already been said by the other - and far more esteemed - industry bloggers out there. As I've gotten closer to my goal my point of view has become less unique, the perspective less refreshing, the experiences less vivid. And I'm afraid I have no more to offer here.

I know when something has run its course...I watch a lot of television after all. It's an embarrassment  when a tv show reaches it's logical conclusion but then someone upstairs decides to squeeze one more season out of it.

I started this blog as an account of me growing from a college graduate who couldn't even set a C-Stand. Admittedly, it has helped me along the way, using it as an outlet to vent my frustrations, failures, fears, and celebrate my triumphs (I re-read my entire blog, and found a post where I basically spend 10 paragraphs high-fiving myself for working my first one-day cooking show gig. So young...so dumb...)

Though if you're hungry for that unique recent-film-school-graduate-getting-a-facefull-of-reality perspective, look no further than Delusions of Fresh Meat which has that market pretty much cornered.

Many thanks to all 3 of you who actually read this stuff...

2 comments:

  1. All of us who choose to tell our stories from below-the-line have to decide when enough's enough -- and if this is your swan song, so be it. I've enjoyed following your journey from raw student to nascent industry professional, and adding my two cents when warranted. We all have -- or will -- walk the same basic path, which is why these stories resonate.

    I would urge you to leave the door open to posting from time to time, as the spirit moves you. There are lots of young people still struggling to get some traction in this industry, and your experiences can give them a signpost -- and maybe a little hope -- as they stumble through the fog. It doesn't matter that other bloggers cover similar material -- hell, we all write about the same basic things -- but each individual perspective adds something unique to the mix. Your voice matters.

    So don't say "adios," but rather "hasta luego" -- until then. And when you find something to say about this crazy business (and I think you will), write it here. Believe me, there are a lot more than three people reading this. "Followers" are one thing -- readers are another.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All right, one last point, then I'll shut the fuck up. If you're calling it quits on the blog because you no longer feel like chronicling your ongoing journey from film student to industry pro, fine. I'm good with that. Having been close to shutting down my own blog more than once over the years, I understand completely. It's not easy to put out readable, relevant posts -- that demands a lot of effort, and if it's no longer worth it or rewarding to you, then fuck it. Sometimes enough really is enough.

    But if you plan to cease posting simply because you think there are
    "... other - and far more esteemed - industry bloggers out there" writing about the same subjects, I'm not buying that. Those other blogs are (for the most part) written by people with many more years in the industry under their collective belts. The viewpoint of someone still finding his place in the industry -- who well is past the wet-behind-the-ears-ex-student stage, but not quite an established industry pro -- has not been well documented. You could fill that gap.

    Is it harder to write when your "point of view has become less unique, the perspective less refreshing, the experiences less vivid" -- absolutely, and therein lies the challenge. You've written very well about the early stages of your career, and I've no doubt you can write just as well about this stage -- but just as you had to step up your industry game to move beyond unReality crap and land those scripted-show gigs, you'll have to adjust and refine your writing to chronicle the "now."

    Is that worth the effort? That's for you to say...but if so, take your time, make a few notes when the spirit moves, and when the time is right, put up another post. You just might be glad you did.

    And if not, then godspeed and good luck in your career. Having walked that same path, I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete